In order to become FCD certified, participants must complete a total of 120 hours of in-depth training in the 12 Competencies of a Career Services Provider instructed by a nationally trained and qualified instructor. The 120 hours of training includes the following:
- 24 hours of face-to-face time with your instructor via a video conferencing system (Zoom)
- 56 hours of online/reading homework
- 40 hours of fieldwork and projects which will be specified in class
- Typically, the FCD course takes 3-5 months to complete in order to finish all 120 required hours. The 24 hours of face-to-face video conferencing is typically provided in 2-hour sessions scheduled weekly. However, these sessions can be arranged to adapt to individual student's work and life demands. As a result, the length of the course is dependent on the needs of the individual participant(s).
- The course can be designed to be taken by one individual or a group cohort.
- All class assignments are completed and submitted via Google Classroom (an online learning platform) and the 24 hours of face-to-face instruction are completed using a virtual conferencing system, (Zoom) or by phone.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Use the internet to identify career information resources to assist students with career decision making, including interpretation of employment trends and labor market information.
- Describe and assess how to apply career development theory to practice.
- Demonstrate competence in the understanding, administration, and interpretation of career development assessments.
- Assess participant's areas of strength or weakness relating to career development by utilizing the appropriate assessments.
- Learn and apply criteria to analyze career development programs.
- Apply knowledge and learnings to work as Career Development Facilitators by examining case studies, field work experiences, and text assignments.
Once FCD certified, participants are eligible to apply for the NCDA Certified Career Services Provider (CCSP) credential. Additionally, those who have completed FCD certification and meet the additional educational and career services experience requirements, are eligible to obtain the Global Career Development Facilitator (GCDF) credential offered by the Center for Credentialing and Education (CCE).
The course design contains weekly assigned readings from the Facilitating Career Development: Student Manual, 4th Edition and includes one or more of the following: a reading and reflection assignment, a journaling lesson, and/or an open book quiz. You will be taught how to create an online portfolio to collect your assignments and reflect on what they are teaching you in terms of the 12 NCDA competencies. This portfolio will also provide you with a body of work at the end of the course for future reference in your current position and longer-term career. Some journaling assignments require online and/or field research such as information interviews or a visit to your local workforce agency.
In addition to the weekly assignments, there are three longer experiential assignments that include short written papers and one final project. These experiential assignments help you to experience what you are learning, apply the lessons to your daily working life and to help you reflect on your own career development.
The NCDA "Facilitating Career Development, Student Manual, 4th Edition" is required and must be purchased through the NCDA Resource Store.
(You will be redirected to Paypal for payment and then returned to this site.)
Sheri is a Nationally Certified Counselor, a trained NCDA Instructor of the Facilitating Career Development program, a qualified interpreter of the Myers-Briggs assessment and has teaching certification for the StrengthsQuest assessment. Sheri holds a B.S. degree in Human Development & Family Studies from Cornell University and a Masters in Social Work, occupational social work concentration, from Syracuse University.
Payment in full is due at the time of registration unless other arrangements have been made with the instructor.
All requests for refunds must be received in writing via email. 100% of course payment will be refunded only under the following conditions: 1) a request is made for a refund within 30 days of purchase, and 2) the course registration form has not been submitted. Once the course registration has been submitted, no refunds will be allowed.